Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Say It Ain't So


            So I hate to say it but I’m going to have to be a quitter.  It is something that I really don’t like to do and something that I feel I do far too often.  But unfortunately, despite the fact that I proclaimed it in cyberspace, I will not be running the Country Music 1/2 Marathon this year. 
Running has always been something that I love.  Ever since high school when I discovered that you don’t need to be able to catch or hit a ball to be a varsity athlete, I have been running.  I run to get away from my stress and to clear my head.  It is something I do when I don’t want to think about anything at all.  It’s my therapy.  That was until I started training for the 1/2 and my runs were no longer filled with fresh air and peace but instead were consumed with times and mileage and aching knees.  I worried and fretted when I wasn’t able to run and was so exhausted after the long runs that I felt I deserved to be comatose on the couch for hours.  And then I fretted and worried because my hours on the couch had replaced hours in the library and thus began a vicious cycle.  And as you know, THIS girl, with the over active imagination and the unreasonable amount of unfounded worry, doesn’t need anything else to add to the pile. 
            SO…I hate to disappoint but for the sake of my sanity, my knees, and my love of running just for me, I will be gracefully bowing out of this year’s race.  Who knows, maybe next year my life will be a little more under control and I will have the guts to actually do it but I’m not making any promises J The thought was fun while it lasted, right?

Oh, and don’t worry!  The shoe purchase was not in vain as these puppies have endured many miles on the treadmill and the side walk and are a fan favorite of the girls at VCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment