Thursday, October 14, 2010

So Domestic


In honor of this perfect (albeit rainy at the moment) Fall Break weekend in the Northeast and my need to indulge in all things pumpkin-flavored, I am going to attempt to get domestic.  This is a little scary considering that though I can microwave a lean cuisine with the best of them, I am no Martha.  I usually leave the cooking to my Mom and sister who can whip up even the most complicated recipes from the Food Network with ease.  I, on the other hand, am the sous-chef - I can chop veggies and stir a pot like nobody’s business.  But I just can’t resist these pumpkin cupcakes so I am going to give it my best shot.  I figure with that irresistible pumpkin scent and enough icing smothered on top, even I can’t screw this one up.  And just in case, I am home for the weekend and have Mama Ball standing by in case anything goes really awry.  I’ll let you know how it goes!


Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing 
(Courtesy of Patent and the Pantry)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I doubled this because I love nutmeg.)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (I used a 14-ounce can and it was still lovely and pumpkin-y)

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and the spices. In another bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs. Add dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Then whisk in pumpkin puree.  Line the cupcake pan with liners and fill each about halfway with batter. Bake until tops spring back when touched and a cake tester comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Rotate the pans if needed. (I have one pan, so did not bother with that step.) Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and sugar.




1 comment:

  1. In the words of ally and the berglunds... num nums

    ReplyDelete