Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summertime at the Frist

             Nashville is a city of the arts.  From the struggling wannabe country singer on the streets of downtown to the fabulous art displayed in the privately owned galleries scattered throughout East Nashville, this city has no shortage off creativity.  Which is why I was thrilled to get the chance to check out the new exhibits at the Frist Center for Visual Arts when my sister was in town.  I didn’t include this in my post about her visit because honestly, I was so blown away by these exhibits that I decided they deserved a post of their own.  The first exhibit we toured was titled, “The Golden Age of Couture” and displayed garments from the most glamorous fashion houses in London and Paris during the years following World War II.  Annnnnd, I die.  The exhibit was organized by the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, which is another reason I loved it so much.  I have a slight obsession with London…and I may have visited four times while I was studying abroad in Barcelona and forced my then-boyfriend to do things like ride double-decker buses, take pictures in big red phone booths, and sing along to every song in Mary Poppins the musical.  Could ya blame me?



In the words of Rachel Zoe...this dress is bananas.

Pure sass...I love it.


So Mary Poppins :-)




Perfect polka dots.





            The second exhibit showing at the Frist at the moment is featuring Dale Chihuly’s blown glass and it is amazing.  It includes nine installations and a documentary called “Chihuly in the Hotshop” that shows how each of them was created.  The pictures don’t do it justice (especially since pictures were strictly prohibited so I had to be extra sneaky) but it blew me away.  I highly recommend it!








No comments:

Post a Comment