Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Working Girl

            On many days, I envy those who are full-time bloggers.  The ones who spend their days browsing bookstores, writing in coffee shops, and strolling down busy streets in search of inspiration.  But the truth is, I am only a part-time blogger for a few reasons.  One, because this blog isn't nearly interesting or relevant enough for me to get the kind of traffic that would allow me to make a decent living (not fishing for compliments here at all...I'm okay with the fact that I have a relatively small, but loyal following :-).  And two, because I have one of those 9-5 7-5 jobs that takes up far too much of my time to ever make full-time blogging a reality.  I don't talk about my job very much on the blog these days (because of my little friend HIPAA) and some of my newer readers who missed the grad school grandma days might not even know what it is that I do at my real job.  I am a Speech-Language Pathologist at the National Rehabilitation Hospital here in D.C.  It's a great job and I work with a really incredible team.  I am challenged and inspired and exhausted and grateful at the end of each and every day.  And for that reason I consider myself very lucky.  Now it's not all rainbows and unicorns over here, don't get me wrong.  On many days, my patience is tested and I am happy if I get to finish my coffee before 3pm but when I can walk out of the hospital knowing that I've done at least a little bit of good for someone else, I'd say I'm doing alright.


Co-worker Valentine Goodies

            Speaking of my job, I have a favor to ask.  If you're the praying kind and wouldn't mind saying a few extras for my co-workers I would really appreciate it.  One of my co-workers at the hospital died suddenly this weekend and his death has rocked the community at NRH.  I didn't know him well but some of my friends were extremely close with him so if you've got room on your list, some extra prayers for them and for his family would mean so much.  Thanks, friends.

            I hope that you are having a fabulous week and that your work days really have been all rainbows and unicorns.  And if not, only three days until a three-day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment