Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Coyotes on the Loose...in Nashville?

            You read that correctly.  The big news in Nashville over the past few weeks...coyotes.  ON THE LOOSE.  EATING PEOPLE'S DOGS.  I'm not okay with this.  Though I know that I am in a different region of the country and the wildlife is supposed to be different (aka the rabid squirrels that live on my building and literally lounge on my front stoop) but coyotes?  I see no desert here, ladies and gentlemen.  But despite the fact that they seem very much out of place, the coyotes are apparently quite a problem in this city.  There is even a website devoted to helping coyotes and humans coexist in Nashville.  You think I'm joking but check it out.  And it case you might be wondering how to handle the coyote presence in your own town I have included some helpful tips from the Nashville local news:
  • Don't feed coyotes (duh).
  • Secure garbage container lids.
  • Feed pets indoors.
  • Don't leave children outside when coyotes are around (also duh).
  • Trim shrubbery to remove coyote hide outs (I think this one is funny).
  • Install fencing that is at least 6 feet tall and 6 inches below ground level (yeah okay...I'll get right on that).
This picture actually terrifies me.

No comments:

Post a Comment