Saturday, April 10, 2010

And the Countdown Begins


That’s right people.  Three more weeks and I will officially have one year left of grad school.  It is crazy how fast this year has flown but at the same time I feel like I have been here for a lifetime considering how much I have learned and how much more I know now than I did last August.  Though I still have a LONG way to go and I cannot imagine diagnosing and treating my own clients in just a year, I feel confident that I will be well prepared when I finally graduate.
As for right now though, (because remember I’m trying that whole “living in the moment” thing), I am spending a gorgeous Saturday up to my elbows in lesson plans and ironing out the details for Toddler Group on Monday, which I will be running on my own!  My supervisor will be there with me but I am responsible for planning the target vocabulary for the four-week unit as well as the books, songs, and language/audition activities.  You might think that planning for two two-year-olds would be a piece of cake.  But let’s not forget the old terrible twos.  Add to that the fact that these little ones have recently received their cochlear implants and are VERY new listeners.  As a result, the strategy of “I will count to three and then I will help you…” is used quite often.  All of that means that there is a lot more to take into consideration when planning for these rug rats.
Right now I am thinking a Mother’s Day theme (as the units last for a month…putting us right on track to celebrate the mommies at the end of the unit).  Targets will include family vocabulary and daily routines.  Expressions targeted will include ‘surprise!’, ‘I love you,’ and ‘wake up!’  Once again…don’t be jealous…my life is seriously thrilling right now J

No comments:

Post a Comment